The story of St Louis de Montfort’s Parish and School.
In the late 1950’s, with no trains running on Sundays because of strikes, the Catholic population of Aspendale had great difficulty getting to St Brigid’s, Mordialloc for Mass.
A deputation of men spoke to the Parish Priest, Father James English, to see if Mass could be celebrated in Aspendale, and so began a new era.
Martin’s Dance Hall, opposite the Aspendale Station, was centrally situated and the faithful gathered in a small room at the front of the hall to celebrate Mass together.
Soon this room was inadequate and the congregation moved into the main Dance Hall.
Eventually, Martin’s Hall was sold and Mass was then celebrated in the old Scout Hall at Regent’s Park. Seating was limited, so most of the congregation brought their own camp chairs!
The site in Dolphin Street, 8.5 acres was purchased by the far-sighted Father English in 1961 for £36,000.00. Soon after, in 1964, the building of the original rooms of St Louis School was begun.
Eventually, the congregation made its last change of venue and Mass was celebrated in the corridor of a partly-finished classroom, wherever the least disturbance was caused to the builder, Mr. George Dorian.
St Louis de Montfort’s Parish was founded in the late 1950s. The school first began in 1965 with 85 students in classes from Prep to Year 2. The school has a current enrolment of 760 students from Years P-6. The Brigidine Sisters ran the school from 1965 to 1984. Since then, lay principals have been in charge.